An article called The Girlfriend Getaway Guide in this month’s Redbook made me enter a sweepstakes. The sweepstakes winner receives a round-trip airfare and a 4 night stay for 4 people at Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii that is featured in the article.
Hawaii is such a beautiful, tropical place to visit and I would love to go back one day. If you are planning your own vacation and are new to air travel, the post Tips for New Travelers will help you prepare.
I’m a big fan of organizational tips, which made me pin page 28 to my Organization & Cleaning board on Pinterest. Using tension rods looks like an easy DIY to stylishly keep your space neat.
On one of the first few pages of this month’s Essence magazine was an advertisement for Empire’s return to Wednesday nights on FOX.
Previously Empire was on FOX from 9 -10pm which conflicted with ABC’s Blackish, which started at 9: 30pm. Blackish has now moved to Tuesday nights, which made me happy to know that these two shows no longer air in competing time slots. I’m so ready for Fall TV and new seasons of these shows and also of the TGIT lineup.
This photo on page 39 made me reminisce about my friends and I being big Lady Gaga fans in college and seeing girls with Diet Coke cans in their hair on the way to the concert – channeling her “Telephone” video.
An interview with Ledisi on page 70 made me remember those weird stretchy shirts that were in style when I was in 7th grade – does anyone remember that from the early 2000’s?
That’s all until next month – join the link up or comment below to share what “glossies made you do”!
Being someone with no patience for sewing, I thought this would be an easy, one-afternoon project.
This No Sew Flower Girl dress ending up being way more challenging than I thought it would be.
As the instructionsrecommend, the top is a crochet band. With a quick Google search, I was able to purchase one from Girls Crochet Headbands. I chose a purple unlined Tutu Top because I wondered if lining would cause the top to be less stretchy.
Photo credit: Girls Crochet Headbands
Although I planned to cover the top with flowers, I didn’t want any part of it to be revealing (or scratchy) so I found a low-price ($3!), lavender, spaghetti strap tank top from Walmart to be worn underneath.
Making the tulle skirt layers was pretty simple – with Mommy cutting the tulle into strips and me tying them to the crochet band, we were able to put two layers on quickly.
Even after a third layer was on, we were concerned about whether the tulle would be see-through. We ended up using a fabric skirt as a slip to be worn under the dress – luckily the skirt was a keepsake from when my sister and I were little, so this was no additional expense.
The instructions showed how you could use a glue-gun to attach each flower to the crochet top. Of course the photos made it look easy, but I didn’t know how well they would stay on or how the flowers would keep their shape without the plastic stems.
Thankfully Mommy rescued the dress and this is also where this stopped being a “No Sew” DIY.
Mommy hand stitched each of the flowers to the dress along with a tiny purple bead in the center of each flower.
While I liked the general idea to make this dress, it was not as fast as I thought it would be and it also required a skirt and tank top to be worn under it. Despite the extra effort – making a flower girl dress is a lot less expensive than buying one.
Being a bride on a budget, I had a list of several decorations that I wanted to DIY instead of buy.
I was inspired by this gorgeous Etsy listing. but I was not willing to pay so much 💵💰
Luckily I found these instructions from Michelle Ng’s blog.
Instead of painting and decorating a plain cardboard box, I found beautiful boxes on sale at Michael’s. They matched our purple and lavender wedding colors and even had our flowers (hydrangeas) on them.
While I saved time by not having to decorate the boxes, I didn’t realize these boxes are made of much stronger material and could not simply be cut with an Exacto knife.
Luckily, I have talented parents (they ended up doing all of my DIY projects….) who were able to cut through the boxes with a jigsaw.
In addition to gluing the 3 boxes to eachother, the flaps on the front of the boxes were also glued shut. This way the boxes could not be opened and cards would be dropped in to the slot cut into the top box.
The pretty rhinestones came from a sticker sheet – also found at Michael’s